The successful candidate will perform a variety of arboricultural functions on all city-owned trees, ensuring industry standard techniques and processes are adhered to.Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Qualifications
- Under direction of Arborist I:maintain, remove, and preserve all trees on city-owned property.
- Respond to storm related calls at all hours.
- Remove hazardous trees and fallen limbs.
- Educate public on proper forestry practices.
- Comply with relevant City policies.
- Provide ad hoc assistance on projects/initiatives within the unit/team.
- Operate brush chippers.
- Operate 0-8 Ton knuckle boom crane when required.
- Operate aerial truck with hydraulic lifting device.
- When Arborist I is not present:co-ordinate all work site activities;work orders (with residents if applicable);ensure assigned vehicles, equipment and tools are maintained and operated safely.
- Providefunctional guidance, training and direction to temporary, contract staff and students.
- A 24/7 year round emergency response is required.
- International Society of Arboriculuture (ISA) Certification an asset.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of experience in the field of arboricultureand Highway Traffic Act.
- Arboriculture practices (International Society of Arboriculture standards) and Health & Safety Act.
- Work at great heights, climbing and operating various sizes/weights of equipment around energized apparatus.
- Physically demanding job.
- High attention to detail: dangerous equipment being operated in elevated conditions.
- Utility Arborist accreditation & regulations an asset.
- Working in all weather conditions.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$ 57,786.00 - $ 77,051.00
Hours of Work:40
Work Location:950 Burnhamthorpe Rd W
Department/Division/Section:CMS/Community Services Dept,CMS/Parks, Forestry & Environment,Forestry
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.