Vacancy Type: Temporary
Number of Positions:1
Closing Date:11/23/2023Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Manager, Venue and Event Services, the position will be responsible for:
- Overseeing facility event operations at one or more of the following facilities; Living Arts Centre, Paramount Fine Foods Centre, Meadowvale Theatre, Small Arms Inspection Building, Celebration Square;
- Ensure due diligence is carried out in all areas of risk management and safety training
- Providing direct supervision, training and motivation for part time staff; (ONSITE EVENT COORDINATORS, FRONT DESK, CONCESSIONS ATTENDANTS, OPERATIONS) as required,
- Work with internal and external stakeholders, to make the facility one of Mississauga's premiere culture and sports facilities
- Administer third party contracts related to the Venue event operations; (i.e. Paramedics, Janitorial and Waste Management, Labour Services, Winter Lighting and Décor)
- Provide quotes, actual event expenses and detailed show reports to the Event Bookings and Coordination Team in a timely manner
- Develop and implement site amenity improvements such as furniture, seasonal lighting, seasonal food trucks, and support for place-making initiatives.
- Develop and implement annual facility event operations work plans and operating plans
- Provide recommendations for site and operational improvements for future initiatives;
- Contribute to the development of multi-year business plans
- Work directly with Event Bookings and Production teams
- Undertake the responsibility for high profile and sensitive issue management that relies upon a highly developed knowledge of municipal government practices and approval process;
- Encourage cross departmental thinking and collaboration, interpret individual and department concerns, anticipate issues and opportunities, take ownership, use initiative and remain solution focused;
- Utilize superior public relation and customer service skills to co-workers, management, public and politicians on related issues;
- Develop and prepare sensitive correspondence including emails, briefing notes, using political acuity, logic and exceptional judgment skills.
- Implementing and identifying improvements to existing City Standards in event operations, City Corporate Policies and Procedures, procedures and guidelines;
- Maintaining required statistics, assist with monitoring, control and recommendations for annual budget;
- Assuming the role of Manager on Duty on a regular basis;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must be available to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and statutory holidays with no extended vacation time during peak event season. A valid driver's licence is necessary with an excellent driving record and access to a vehicle. Current CPR and First Aid certification required.Skills and Qualifications
- Graduate from a recognized university or college in arts facility management, event management, communications, business administration, social sciences, or a related field
- Have a minimum of 3 years in a related capacity with progressively responsible leadership experience
- Demonstrate leadership, team building skills and an ability to work in a flexible team environment with changing priorities
- Three to five years experience in special event production, project management, community development, high-profile venue bookings and operations experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Possess ability to establish effective working relationships in team environment.
- Have excellent judgment and analytical skills and have a working knowledge of applicable legislative requirements.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, political acumen, negotiation and conflict resolution skills and budget management skills.
- Client relationship-building skills are essential.
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders and partners.
- Highly motivated self-starter with excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated experience in exercising strong policy and procedure discipline
- Demonstrated experience in understanding the impact of decisions, issues and outcomes to the City's reputation
- Ability to work in a changing environment
- Committed to continuous improvement.
- Experience in the supervision of part-time staff and in dealing with the media is an asset.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office with excellent knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Hourly Rate/Salary:$46.79- $62.39
Hours of Work:35
Work Location:Meadowvale Community Theatre
Department/Division/Section:CMS/Community Services Dept,CMS/Recreation & Culture Division,Culture & Events
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.