Under the general direction of the Supervisor, Surveys & Inspections, the primary duties of an Inspector is to provide oversight and inspection on City road construction, maintenance, and development projects.Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspect and document site conditions, labour, workmanship and materials associated with construction of municipal infrastructure such as roads, sidewalks, curbs, multi-use trails, retaining walls, storm sewers, connections, creekimprovements, storm water facilities, culverts, noise walls, and traffic signals.
- Carry out field inspections of utility and private contractor construction activities on public right- of-ways to ensure adherence to approved plans, Road Occupancy Permit conditions, and City standards.
- Provide quality assurance acceptance of work performed and ensure conformity with contract drawings, contract documents, and other referenced specifications and standards.
- Ensure compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, other applicable statutes and regulations, City bylaws, City policies; report non-compliance and take corrective action.
- Inspect sites to ensure safe working conditions and interests of public safety are maintained.
- Review traffic control measures to ensure they are in accordance with OTM Book 7 requirements.
- Examine plans, drawings and specifications for municipal construction projects and subdivision servicing agreements.
- Maintain daily project diary and construction logs requiring excellent attention to detail; retain photo and video records to document site conditions and contract activities; provide other project specific documentation as required.
- Verify quantities, provide records regarding contracted labour, equipment and materials placed; prepare supporting documentation associated with progress payments, invoices, and time & material works.
- Diligent checking of measurements, payment calculation, quantity calculations to ensure accuracy.
- Attend and participate in pre-construction and construction progress meetings.
- Troubleshoot and identify unforeseen site issues; review conflicts and construction issues; present alternatives to facilitate resolutions.
- Communicate with the Manager, Supervisor, Project Manager or Contract Coordinator; provide updates on project progress or delays.
- Document deficient items and follow-up on directions to ensure deficiencies are properly corrected.
- Perform warranty inspections for final acceptance and release of securities.
- Conduct visual inspections and arrange for on-site sampling and testing of materials.
- Carry out field inspections of utility, private contractor construction, and consultant activities on public right- of-ways to ensure adherence to approved plans, Road Occupancy Permit conditions, and City standards.
- Perform on-site locates of City storm sewer infrastructure for excavators.
- Identify and mark designated areas for infrastructure repair/construction.
- Investigate service requests, claims, complaints received from the public or council and document action taken; may be required to present evidence in court pertaining to Contractual or Civil Cases.
- Liaise with the general public, contractors, consultants, utilities, city staff and other stakeholders.
- Perform other related duties as assigned which may include temporary re-assignment to the Works Operations Section during the winter period to assist in winter maintenance activities.
- Able to complete all duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Requires the successful completion of a post-secondary Civil Engineering Program.
- Must have a C. Tech or a C.E.T designation with OACETT.
- Minimum two (2) years of inspection experience in municipal infrastructure construction.
- Must be able to read and interpret all types of municipal engineering drawings, contract documents, specifications and construction standards.
- Must act with integrity and demonstrate sound moral and ethical principles.
- Strives for continuous improvement through innovation and enhancement of processes.
- Excellent time management skills to effectively prioritize and organize work.
- Exceptional customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to effectively deal with residents, contractors, other outside agencies and stakeholders.
- Must be able to maintain a detailed, accurate, construction project journal and diary (personal).
- Accepts and follows directions from others; complies with requests and respects authority.
- Utilizes feedback in a positive and constructive manner.
- Ability to exercise critical thinking, independent judgement and make sound decisions including solving complex problems.
- Promote and contribute to a supportive team environment.
- Knowledge of the content and use of the Ontario Provincial Standards & Specifications (OPSS), City of Mississauga Standards & Specifications, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Technical Standards and Safety Authority and OTM Book 7.
- Strong computer skills; good working knowledge of INFOR, Hat-TW, Excel, Word & Outlook.
- Must hold a valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's Licence and a clean driving record acceptable to the City.
- Must be able to meet essential physical requirements of this position including lifting, pulling and carrying of heavy objects, working outdoors in all weather conditions, exposure to asphalt, concrete and dust, etc.
- To advance to the interview stage, the applicant must achieve a score of 65% or above on a technical assessment.
Hourly Rate/Salary:30.87 - 36.24
Hours of Work:40
Work Location:Mavis Yard: Common Building
Department/Division/Section:T&W/Transportation&Works Dept,T&W/Works Operations & Mntce Division,Technical Services
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005and the OntarioHuman Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.