The Technical Services Section provides seasonal temporary municipal construction inspectors for various clients within the Transportation and Works Department. Reporting to the Supervisor, Surveys and Inspections, the successful candidates will be responsible for the inspection and monitoring of parties under contract or agreement for construction and/or maintenance of roads, curbs, sidewalks, pathways, storm sewers, traffic signals and other municipal infrastructure. Other duties may include inspection of work done on City road allowances by utility companies and outside contractors, or is associated with new development. Temporary inspectors also perform on-site storm sewer infrastructure locates for excavators.Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspects and documents on weather, site conditions, workmanship, labour, equipment and materials associated with construction and maintenance repairs of municipal infrastructure.
- Inspects construction sites to ensure safe working conditions, public safety, compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, and City of Mississauga Health & Safety policies.
- Ensures work is done in compliance with contract drawings, contract documents, and other applicable specifications, standards, statutes,regulations, and City By-Laws.
- Ensures adequate control is maintained on the quantity and quality of labour and materials used.
- Carries out field inspections of utilityand private contractor construction activities on public right-of-waysto ensure adherence to approved plans, Road Occupancy Permit conditions, andCity standards.
- Performs on-site locates of City storm sewer infrastructurefor excavators.
- Maintains daily records of all assigned projects regarding materials placed/equipment used, labour, weather conditions, and quantity records.
- Diligent checking of measurements, payment calculation, quantity calculations to ensure accuracy.
- Preparessupporting documentation associated with contractor payments, invoices,changeorders and other required forms.
- Reports non-compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other applicable regulations; recommends and takes corrective action.
- Documents deficient items and performs warranty inspections for final acceptance.
- Investigates and provides timely responses to complaints received.
- Collects material weight tickets for construction materials delivered to City worksites.
- Liaises with the general public, contractors,utilities, city staff and other agencies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Requires thesuccessful completion of a college or university Civil Engineering Program.
- C. Tech or a C.E.T designation with OACETT in Civil Engineering is preferred.
- Previous experience in the construction and/or maintenance of municipal services infrastructure is an asset.
- Able to read and interpret all types of municipal engineering drawings, contract documents, specifications and construction standards.
- Excellenttime management skills are required toeffectively prioritize and organize work.
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to effectively deal with the residents, contractors, developers, utility companies, external agencies and other stakeholders.
- Exceptionalcustomer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Must act with integrity and demonstratesound moral and ethical principles.
- Strives forcontinuous improvement through innovation and enhancingprocesses.
- Able to work effectively in a supportive team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Accepts and follows directions from others; complies with requests and respects authority.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent and accurate judgement and make sound decisions.
- Strong computer skills includinggood working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word & Outlook; working knowledge of the INFOR Public Sector program is an asset.
- Must work in a safe manner andin compliance with the Health and Safety Act and related City of Mississaugapolicies & procedures.
- Working knowledge of Ontario Provincial Standards & Specifications (OPSS), City of Mississauga Standards/Specifications, Health and Safety Act, Technical Standards and Safety Authority,and the Ontario Traffic Manual Book 7.
- Able to carry out the full range of physical demands of the position such as lifting, pulling and carrying of equipment and objects etc up to 25lbs.
- CSA approved green patch safety boots are required.
- Must hold a valid Ontario Class "G" Driver's License and a cleandriving record acceptable to the City.May be requiredto provideyour own vehicle in which mileage would be paid. A driver's abstract will be required to verify a driving record in good standing.
Hours of Work:40
Work Location:Mavis Yard: Common Building
Department/Division/Section:T&W/Transportation&Works Dept,T&W/Works Operations & Mntce Division,Technical Services
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act. Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City of Mississauga is committed to creating a respectful and supportive workplace that fosters a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion which broadly reflects the communities and residents we serve. Throughout the employee life cycle, the City is working to include an EDI lens to attract, retain and support the growth of diverse talent.
Learn more about the City’s commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion . Accommodations
The City of Mississauga is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to removing barriers in our selection process for people with visible and invisible disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.