The City of Mississauga's Transportation and Works Department is looking for enthusiastic Civil (or equivalent) Engineering graduates that are interested in working in the challenging and ever-changing municipal environment. You will be part of a team of engaging, enthusiastic and dedicated people that are committed to collaborating with one another to deliver on our commitment to the residents, visitors and businesses of Mississauga.
The Engineer In Training role will provide a recent Civil Engineering graduate with a 4-year term in which to rotate through various positions in the following divisions:
- Infrastructure Planning and Engineering;
- Works Operations and Maintenance;
- Traffic Management and Municipal Parking;
- Transit and LRT;
This rotation will provide the graduate with a 'big picture' perspective of the department, foster relationship building across multiple divisions and produce an engineer with a multi-disciplinary skill set.
The position allows a new graduate to accumulate 48 months of engineering experience that meets the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) work experience requirements for obtaining a professional engineering license.Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Qualifications
- Provides coordination, technical and administrative support and participates in the planning, design, construction and maintenance of municipal infrastructure in accordance with City standards, policies and practices;
- Manages assigned work, ensuring effective teamwork, communication, high standards of work quality, organizationalperformance and continuous learning;
- Ensures that the assigned work is completed within prescribed timelines and in compliance with established protocols and staff directives;
- Conducts research and assists with the preparation of various technical reports;
- Assists and works under the direction of engineers and/or managers in planning, investigating and documenting engineering/operational challenges of basic to moderate complexity;
- Assists in conducting planning studies, design, field work, site inspections, and technical investigations and studies, and making related recommendations;
- Reviews proposed development applications against municipal standards and policies;
- Responds to service requests and inquiries from the public;
- Assists in the preparation of budgets, estimates and cost/benefit analyses;
- Liaises with consultants, contractors, developers, the general public, and other internal City staff within various Divisions and Departments;
- Exercises sound engineering judgement in the execution of responsibilities;
- Arranges and attends project and staff meetings and develops agendas and minutes of meetings; and
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge in the field of civil engineering as it relates to municipal infrastructure and the City of Mississauga.
- Registered in the final semester of a Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) recognized Civil (or equivalent) Engineering Program, or graduated within the last 12 months. Offers of employment are conditional on proof of graduation.
- Sound knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering.
- Experience using a variety of software products such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Microstation, Autocad, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing, with previous experience in preparing reports.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to create effective solutions to problems.
- Good time management and organizationalskills to be able to adapt to varying and tight deadlines.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills along with strong customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Exercises tact and diplomacy to deal with internal and external stakeholders including the public and community groups.
- Must hold a valid class "G" License with a driving record in good standing and acceptable to the City.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Hourly Rate/Salary:$ 41.11 - $ 54.81
Hours of Work:35
Work Location:Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section:T&W/Transportation&Works Dept,T&W/Infrast Planning & Eng Serv Div,Infrast Planning & Eng Serv Div
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has notbeen granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can alsocheck your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act. Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City of Mississauga is committed to creating a respectful and supportive workplace that fosters a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion which broadly reflects the communities and residents we serve. Throughout the employee life cycle, the City is working to include an EDI lens to attract, retain and support the growth of diverse talent.
Learn more about the City’s commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion . Accommodations
The City of Mississauga is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to removing barriers in our selection process for people with visible and invisible disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.