Senior Technical Officer
SENIOR TECHNICAL OFFICER
Job ID: 3941
Location: BURNABY, BC
To be considered for this role, applications MUST be submitted online, by clicking on 'Apply' below.
- Join one of BC’s Top Employers!
- Be part of an exceptional company culture with great employee benefits and a healthy work/life balance!
BC Housing thanks all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
BC Housing is a provincial Crown Corporation that develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options for those most in need across the province to address critical gaps across the housing continuum ranging from emergency shelter through to rent assistance in the private market and affordable home ownership. Share in the rewards of working with an organization that offers challenging work and competitive compensation and supports the growth and development of its people.
Our mission is making a difference in people's lives and communities through safe, affordable and quality housing.
BC Housing offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. But a job is more than a pay cheque. We also offer our staff the opportunity to work together to make a difference. When employees go home at the end of the day, they experience the satisfaction of knowing they’ve helped provide safe, affordable housing for British Columbians. And while they’re here, employees can take advantage of many opportunities:
- In-house training, and training at other institutions, for courses related to employees’ current positions or to prepare them for advancement within BC Housing.
- Wellness programs including physical fitness, programs to help employees quit smoking, free flu shots, mental health resources, and lunch-and-learn lectures and seminars.
- Recognition programs including long-term service awards, idea recognition and outstanding performance awards.
- Livegreen incentives include an employee transit pass program, and other initiatives that encourage alternative, sustainable transportation (even a bike purchase program!).
- An active Social Club that organizes special events like seasonal parties and arranges group discounts to other events.
- Participation in community and charitable events.
** Please note: Eligibility for benefits offered is based on employment status **
SENIOR TECHNICAL OFFICER
Reporting to the Provincial Director HousingHub, the Senior Technical Officer provides technical and functional leadership regarding BC Housing’s Design and Construction Standards as they apply to HousingHub projects and development. This includes costing, materials, construction methods, and project/contracting processes for mixed market, multi-unit residential rentals and owner purchase developments. He/she/they ensures compliance of HousingHub projects and portfolios with Design and Construction Standards, and provides an overall review of projects and contracts to ensure compatibility with project/program goals, guidelines and administrative requirements. The position is also responsible for reviewing, maintaining and updating the Design Guidelines and Construction Standards for the HousingHub, ensuring consistency with established Development & Asset Strategies Design guidelines and Construction Standards; tracking and forecasting construction costs, maintaining the Costing database, managing third party construction cost reviews; and developing project procedures.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Applied technology diploma in architecture, engineering (civil), building technology or other relevant field.
- Training in the following: Project Management; Quantity Surveying Principles; Construction Industry Standards including regulatory requirements; Construction Contract Administration; recommended construction practices.
- Sound contract administration experience including significant experience with industry standard construction contracts.
- Extensive technologist work experience in multi-unit residential development and construction
- Considerable quantity surveyor or cost consulting experience
- Considerable related field experience, including inspecting new and existing buildings
- or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of construction and construction project management principles, and related legislation, by-laws, building codes, building design, and municipal approval and inspection processes affecting high rise and low rise residential development and construction.
- Considerable knowledge of LEED or sustainability construction practices and the methods and materials relating to the construction, development, remediation and renovation of multi-unit wood frame and non-combustible residential buildings.
- Considerable knowledge of various practices relating to construction management including construction cost analysis methods and standard forms of construction contracts
- Good knowledge of construction and market trends, and current knowledge of standard construction costs
- Ability to read and critique construction drawings and estimate construction costs for new construction
- Ability to provide technical leadership, direction and mentorship to staff in construction and construction management philosophies and practices
- Excellent judgement, planning, organizing and problem-solving skills
- Excellent creative and critical thinking skills and ability to exercise good judgement
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing, with a broad range of audiences
- Proficient in MS Office applications and in Construction software
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Willingness to travel on Commission business and work periodic evenings and weekends
How to Apply:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
At BC Housing, we're committed to providing a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace where respect and diversity are recognized assets. We invite and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, Persons with Disabilities and Disabled People, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.
Apply Now: www.bchousing.org/careers