Manager, Indigenous Relations
At Clark Builders, our Purpose is to enrich the lives of the people who work with us and in the communities we help build. Our purpose drives everything we do and inspires our brand. Our remarkable team, made up of individuals with unique talents and perspectives, works together each day to deliver exceptional, successful projects and experiences for our clients across Western and Northern Canada through innovation and inspiration. Clark Builders has been in business since 1974 with offices located in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and Yellowknife.
Reporting to the Vice President Corporate Development, the Manager, Indigenous Relations will lead our efforts across Canada to strengthen existing relations and develop new and authentic partnerships, agreements, and engagement with Indigenous communities. Key responsibilities include leading Clark Builders on our journey of reconciliation through cultural awareness and forward leaning business practices in alignment with our Progressive Indigenous Relations Strategic Plan. The Progressive Indigenous Relations Strategic Plan is focused primarily on furthering Clark Builders’ strengths, contributions, and leadership in:
- Indigenous culture awareness, education, and respect within Clark Builders
- Recruitment, training, mentoring and retention of Indigenous team members
- Project development support and realization for Indigenous community infrastructure needs
- Inclusive and supportive procurement practices for capacity building with Indigenous community subcontractors and suppliers
- Co-development of long-term Indigenous community partnerships and sustainable economic development opportunities.
Other core duties include community engagement, relationship building, and co-developing partnership opportunities with Indigenous communities throughout Canada. The successful candidate will have intimate knowledge of Indigenous histories, cultures, and political structures, along with a strong and diverse network to ensure respectful interactions between Clark Builders and Indigenous communities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Co-Developing successful relationships with Indigenous communities.
- Continue to build trusting and long-term relationships through committed and meaningful engagement with Indigenous communities.
- Working as part of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure that we are progressing on our reconciliation journey
- Engaging with Indigenous groups and organizations to seek an understanding of various perspectives and sharing those with our leadership team as part of all decision-making processes.
- Lead the ongoing development and implementation of the Clark Builders Progressive Indigenous Relations Strategic Plan, including stewarding of the Canadian Council of Aboriginal Business (CCAB) Progressive Aboriginal Relations (PAR) Certification achievement.
- Lead the Clark Builders’ Indigenous Relations Working Committee (IRWC) to improve and support long-term relationships with the various Indigenous communities we work with.
- Contribute to implementing Clark Builders mission by promoting, strengthening, and enhancing a prosperous Indigenous economy, while raising our profile as a Partner of Choice across Canada.
- Lead the development and execution of Indigenous community engagement plans, mentoring project teams in establishing short and long-term relationships.
- Identifying project opportunities with Indigenous communities and building community employment and local trade partner capacity.
- Maintain awareness of local, regional, and national Indigenous issues, and new developments in Indigenous relations that could affect Clark Builders’ operations and growth opportunities.
- Provide advice and support to internal teams regarding Indigenous protocols and practices.
- Support and encourage cultural awareness programs, events, and training across the company.
- Promote active inclusion of Indigenous employees and trade partners in all areas of operations.
- Positively represent Clark Builders in all internal and external interactions.
- Accumulated formal or informal knowledge of Indigenous histories, cultures, and political structures
- 5-7 years of demonstrated leadership in the field of Indigenous/community relations, community development, and Indigenous business development
- Demonstrated Indigenous peoples cultural and business awareness
- Experience working with communities across Canada, particularly Western Canada & the North
- Ability to collaborate effectively with community leaders to build lasting relationships
- Demonstrated ability to execute effective community engagement strategies
- Passion for business development, community infrastructure and economic growth
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and organizational abilities
- Passion for bridging Indigenous culture to opportunities and connections with Indigenous companies
- Experience with the CCAB PAR program and PAR Certification assessment process is an asset
- Familiarity with other Indigenous organizations including but not limited to the Council for the Advancement of Native Development Officers (CANDO), the Aboriginal Financial Officer Association (AFOA), Indigenous Works, and Circle for Aboriginal Relations (CFAR)
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite
- Ability to travel up to 40%
Why Choose Clark Builders
Clark Builders is a People First, Values-Driven, Learning organization. We care about the physical, mental, emotional safety and well-being of everyone we work with, work for and work near. We follow through on our commitments and deal with issues head-on with integrity and respect. Our actions are determined through a diversity of thought, people, experiences, and ideas.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors. We expect every employee to respect and adhere to Clark Builders’ Core Values and to live Our Purpose through the work they perform.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
We take care of each other and ensure we each go home better off every day. Some benefits we offer include:
- Robust onboarding program including learning about Clark Builders’ business and the construction industry.
- Employee Share Ownership Program (ESOP)
- Competitive Salary & Vacation
- Bonus Opportunities
- Industry Leading Group Insurance, Holistic Wellness Benefits Program and Resources
- Employer RRSP Contribution Matching program
- Employee and Family Assistance (EFAP) program
- Ongoing Professional Development
- Summer hours.
- Employee Resource Groups and mentorships